On Thursday September 12, I will open this year’s MI and SPIA lecture series with a presentation titled “Making the National Capital Region the Next Cycling Capital of the USA“. The presentation is followed by a panel discussion with fantastic panel members: Shane Farthing, Executive Director of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, Jaime Fearer from Greater Greater Washington, and Arlington County Board Member Christopher Zimmerman.
PBS aired an interesting BBC video titled “The Truth About Exercise“. It shows that daily active travel and physical activity help improve health! (the video will expire 14 September).
Finally, my research was mentioned in the media several times over the last weeks:
- “Tracking the trail: Sensors on Mount Vernon path collect data to aid transportation planning,” Washington, Post, USA
- “Vancouver’s bike lanes have made it a city to watch,” The Globe and Mail, Canada
- Editorial – “Designated bike lanes: Space in the neighborhood,” The Boston Globe, USA
- “Cycling In Canadian Cities: Montreal Highlights Growing Pains Across Canada,” Huffington Post, Canada
- “How can we make Canadian Cities more Bike Friendly?,” The Globe and Mail, Canada
- “Who Owns the Roads? Urban Cycling Advocates Raise Safety Concerns,” Montreal Gazette, Canada
- “How Councils Can Reduce Cyclist Deaths,” the Guardian Blog, UK